By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief
***image1***Following his win earlier this week at UFC on Fuel 3, lightweight Donald Cerrone said he wanted to fight at UFC 150 in Denver this August, and felt a bout with fellow WEC vet Anthony Pettis would be appropriate.
However, that's just not possible at this point, as Pettis' recovery from shoulder surgery has him out of action further than the August 11 card in Denver.
Pettis' manager, Mike Roberts of MMA, Inc., posted on Twitter on Tuesday that Pettis won't be able to return until September at the earliest. That's in line with what had been said in the last few weeks regarding his return, and while he'd surely welcome a bout with Cerrone later than August, he's still holding out hope for a number one contender bout with Nate Diaz.
Penick's Analysis: If Cerrone is adamant about fighting on August 11, Pettis simply won't be the opponent, and I wrote that the other day when he first mentioned his desired fighting date. With the UFC allowing Nate Diaz to sit and wait for a title shot, it makes things a bit murkier as far as opponents are concerned for each. I still like the remote possibility of a debuting Eddie Alvarez taking on Pettis, provided the timing works out for his Bellator contract to run out and for him to get into the Octagon. As for Cerrone, he'll get a decidedly lesser name than Pettis if he's going to fight in August, and it won't be a top five opponent for sure.